The Historic Grant Avenue building was constructed in 1908 and is now designated as a Colorado Historic Landmark. It is also part of the recently established Grant Street Historic District. Originally, this 30,000-sqaure-foot structure served as a place of worship for the Grant Avenue United Methodist Church, but in 2000 the congregation donated the building to the community. Today, the Grant Avenue is used by more than 20 local nonprofit organizations and other community groups, serving approximately 2,000 people each month. The beautiful Sanctuary portion of the building contains one of Colorado’s finest historic pipe organs and is still used for weddings, as well as performance space for many of the music groups that rehearse and play here.
Over the past 100 years, the Grant Avenue building has served as a focal point for local social, educational, health-related and spiritual gatherings, as well as a meeting space for state and national conferences. Over time, the surrounding neighborhoods have transformed. Today the Speer, Baker and West Washington Park neighborhoods constitute an interesting mix of old and young, wealthy and poor, families and singles. Current Grant Avenue building partners draw participants from Castle Rock to Broomfield, and from Lakewood to Aurora. One group actually draws participants from as far away as Greeley.
In 2004-2005, most of the building interior was repainted and re-carpeted, and a central evaporative cooling system was installed. The funds for these renovation projects have been provided entirely by building partners and the community. The Colorado Historical Society – State Historic Fund awarded Grant Avenue a $137,000 grant for historic preservation, and the center responded by raising $80,000 in matching funds, after which much restoration work was done to the exterior of the building. Funding partners include Gates, Piton and Boettcher Foundations.